A characteristic concealed monument
The chapel is located in the Cellebroedersstraat in Maastricht and can be accessed through an archway next to 58 Brusselsestraat. Vrijthof Square, Market Square and the City Circular Road are within 5 minutes' walking distance.
The chapel is managed by the Cellites' Chapel Foundation. (Chamber of Commerce nr. 4107886. Bank account nr. 138595348).
The chapel and the upper floor may be rented for cultural, social and religious purposes. It is also a municipal building, which means that both civil and church weddings may be performed within the chapel.
For information on administrative affairs and concerts, please contact the secretary of the Cellites' Chapel Foundation: mrs C. de Koster, 98 Bieslanderweg, 6313 AM Maastricht, +31-43-3620130 or +31-6-29036526,
Have a look at our website for pictures, up-to-date information on activities, rates, users, Circle of Friends, etc.: www.cellebroederskapel.nl
THE CELLITES' CHAPEL
The characteristic chapel of the former Cellites, one of the best concealed monuments of Maastricht, can be found behind a monumental archway next to 58 Brusselsestraat.
The gothic chapel, which used to be part of a large monastery, has been built up entirely of marlstone. Four vaulted arches, together with richly ornamented ribs, constitute a criss-cross pattern of colourful illustrations of leaf tendrils and angels. The only remaining wing of the original monastery can be found on the northern side of the chapel. It has a substructure of marlstone and a superstructure of half-timbered walls.
The Binvignat organ dates from 1794 and has been added to the list of national monuments and historic buildings.
The chapel has a reception area with cloakroom, toilet and pantry with buffet. The chapel can be entered through this reception area and has 80 seats, an altar slab, audio-equipment and an organ. The upper floor measures 11 by 4.80 metres and can either be filled with chairs and tables for a maximum of 25 people or emptied of all furniture. There are 2 toilets and a small kitchen on this floor. The attic can be reached by means of a fixed staircase and is used as storage space for regular visitors. It gives access to the loft and chapel bell.
The Cellites settled in Maastricht as early as 1360 to take care of the sick and feeble-minded. Yet it lasted until 1530 before they got permission to found a monastery between the city walls and the Brusselsestraat. A document from the year 1500 shows that their chapel must have been built before that period. The Cellites kept doing charitable work in the monastery until Napoleonic times.
In 1779 they had to yield their place to representatives of the Third Estate: the Poor Council. In the course of the nineteenth century the building was used more and more for other purposes such as prison, brewery and pawnshop. When the pawnshop stopped its activities in 1924 the buildings were in a bad state. Things deteriorated and most buildings had to be pulled down in the 1940's. Only the chapel and a small part of the old monastery survived and the Broeders van de Beyart (The Brethren of the Beyart) became the new owners. In the 1960's it was decided that a complete renovation was necessary. In 1966 the chapel had regained its former glory.
On October 4, 1995 the Brethren of the Beyart handed the chapel over to the Cellites' Chapel Foundation that was set up to preserve the chapel for religious, cultural and social activities. The chapel was restored once more and during this process small press brocade stars were discovered in the vault which are unique in the Netherlands.
In 2006 the Cellites' Chapel Foundation transferred the ownership of the chapel to the Hendrick de Keijser Society whose purpose is to preserve national cultural heritage. The Cellites' Chapel Foundation has played a supervising role since then. In 2007 the chapel became a municipal building that could be used for civil weddings. The reception area and upper floor underwent major renovation.
CERCLE OF FRIENDS
The Cellites' Chapel Foundation is supported by the Cellites' Chapel Circle of Friends. This support may consist of:
- a financial donation of € 40 a year
- company sponsoring of one or more events
- performance by a musician free of charge
- providing organisational, administrative or managerial assistance during events
In return for this support the Cellites' Chapel Circle of Friends get 50% discount on the entrance fee of Sunday afternoon concerts
If you would like to join, please contact the secretary of the Cellites' Chapel Foundation: mrs C. de Koster, 98 Bieslanderweg, 6313 AM Maastricht, +31-43-3620130 or +31-6-29036526.
PROGRAMMING SUNDAY AFTERNOON CONCERTS